Ask A Plant Nerd
Here are some questions we have been asked about native plants.
- American Penstemon Society Grant OpportunityResearch and education opportunities are now available.
- Creosote: That unforgettable desert aroma, and so much more!AZNPS Board member Jack Dash appeared recently on AZ Public Media, Arizona Illustrated program to talk about this iconic Sonoran Desert plant.
- Dear Plant Nerd,Help! We are Tucson homeowners and want to know of a nice tall, non toxic, bush we can plant for shade on the SW side of our home. The previous owners planted Oleander, which we removed. Wowza, that side of the house gets hot! I immediately think of desert hopbush (Dodonaea viscosa), either the green […]
- DEAR PLANT GEEK, Tell me about a really cool plant for the Sonoran Desert.The coral bean (Erythrina flabelliformis) is one of the coolest plants in southern Arizona. Deciduous shrub (in our region) usually growing to about 4’ high and wide. This is actually a tropical tree—our region used to be tropical, and when the tropics receded, a few tropical remnants adapted to the colder and drier times. In […]
- Dear Plant Nerd – Is there a native plant like Giant Bamboo for my Sonoran Desert yard?Yes! Let me tell you about a native grass that looks like a tiny bamboo. Meet bamboo muhly (Muhlenbergia dumosa) native to Arizona, south into Mexico. This graceful plant grows to about 3 feet tall and eventually gets about 4-5 feet wide. Stems somewhat resemble bamboo, and tips of stems are lacy and wispy forming […]