Ask A Plant Nerd
Here are some questions we have been asked about native plants.
- Mystery plant – is it a weed?Dear Plant Nerd, My neighbor calls this weed/volunteer in my yard a “brittle bush”. I like the yellow flowers. Is it a keeper? If you call this a weed in front of us, we’ll give you an earful. Brittlebush (Encelia farinosa) is called tohavs by the O’odham. Sometimes in their creation stories, coyote is called… Read more: Mystery plant – is it a weed?
- Native Chile?Dear Plant Geek, is there an Arizona native chile? Yes, the chiltepin! It is our only local native chili and it’s native in a variety of habitats like in riparian areas, mesquite bosques, and rocky foothills.Looking more like a small round berry than a chile, the Chiltepin – pronounced “chill tuh peen” – is one… Read more: Native Chile?
- American Penstemon Society Grant OpportunityResearch and education opportunities are now available.
- Creosote: That unforgettable desert aroma, and so much more!AZNPS Board member Jack Dash appeared recently on AZ Public Media, Arizona Illustrated program to talk about this iconic Sonoran Desert plant.
- Dear Plant Nerd,Help! We are Tucson homeowners and want to know of a nice tall, non toxic, bush we can plant for shade on the SW side of our home. The previous owners planted Oleander, which we removed. Wowza, that side of the house gets hot! I immediately think of desert hopbush (Dodonaea viscosa), either the green… Read more: Dear Plant Nerd,