Horace Miller Publication Grant
Background and Purpose
- The Arizona Native Plant Society (AZNPS) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to promote knowledge, appreciation, conservation, and restoration of Arizona’s native plants and habitats.
- The Tucson Chapter of the AZNPS maintains a publication grants program through generous bequests from long-time members Horace Miller and Ginny Saylor.
- The purpose of the publication grant is to assist with the costs of disseminating original work concerning the biology of native plants of Arizona and northwestern Mexico via printed and/or electronic media.
- Applicants from all levels of expertise are encouraged to participate [teachers, undergraduates, graduate students, professional researchers, and other individuals].
- One or more grants may be made each year. The total funding available for all proposals is $1,000. The deadline for submission of grant proposals is November 19, 2018.
Criteria and Restrictions
The geographic area considered in the proposal must be within the State of Arizona or within northwestern Mexico. Proposals requesting project funding for institutions, corporations or government agencies will not be considered. Awards will be made for costs associated with publication in a scientific journal, publishing regional plant lists for general distribution, publication artwork, producing brochures or booklets for the general public (these not for retail sales), producing educational materials for schools, developing web pages, or other publication-related expenses as deemed appropriate by the AZNPS grant committee. Supplanting existing funding with this grant is not allowed.
Eligible publication proposals must contribute to one or more of the concepts below:
- scientific knowledge of native plants
- public understanding of native plants and their environments
- conservation of native plants
Post Award Requirements
- Support by the AZNPS Horace Miller/Ginny Saylor Publication Grant should be acknowledged in any resulting papers, reports, and/or presentations. Example: Support provided in part by funding from the Arizona Native Plant Society Horace Miller-Ginny Saylor Publication Grant Program.
- The grant recipient will be expected to make either a presentation about the project to the Tucson Chapter at one of its monthly meetings, or to provide a short article for the AZNPS Plant Press, or make other arrangements for sharing the results of their work with AZNPS.
The AZNPS Grant Review Committee will evaluate each proposal based on its compliance with the grant program purposes and eligibility criteria described above.
Complete proposals must be received by AZNPS-Tucson Chapter by 12:00am MST, November 19, 2018. Late proposals will not be considered. Submit proposals electronically (in Microsoft Word or PDF formats only) to AZNPS Grants Program Chair, at email@example.com. Subject line should include “2018 Publication Grants”.
NOTE – Application Package Requirements:
- Cover Letter: Provide a one-page cover letter that gives an abbreviated description of the project and states the amount requested.
- Proposal Narrative: Submit a proposal narrative, not exceeding 1,000 words, with 1-inch margins, 12-point font, and single line spacing. The narrative must include the following:
- Contact information: Name, Institution (if applicable), Mailing Address, Email Address, and Phone Number
- Project details: Project description, need for the project or issue addressed by the project, and mock-ups/illustrations if applicable
- Applicant’s relevant experience in addressing the issue or need (or provide brief resume as attachment)
- Targeted audience and geographic area to be served by this project
- Desired outcomes and how project achieves them
- Project timeline
- Budget and spending strategy: note itemized use of requested funds, planned expenses and sources of committed and anticipated revenue, if applicable, and plans for generating other revenue and identifying other revenue sources, if applicable
Proposal Attachments: Letter of support, Letter(s) of agreement, if collaborating with another organization(s), Brief Resume